Friday, July 12, 2013

Intro to Trailer Park: A New Review Segment

After thinking about it, I've decided that I want to talk about trailers to films. Trailers are what gets us into the movie-watching experience; every time you put in the new DVD or sit down in the theater chairs, you will be introduced to new films yearning for you to see them. Some of them are great and wonderful and exciting, others are... well, you know.

A great trailer shows us a snippet of an experience we will get, showing us the main story, giving us a feel of it, yet not revealing too much plot details. A terrible trailer would give away almost the whole movie, show a good number of the movie's weaknesses, and doesn't add any drive for a viewer to go see it. And I want to give you my thoughts on them.

Every week, I'll try to review three trailers. But I won't be using my standard five-star rating system; I want to have some fun!  I'll designate a trailer one of three ratings:
  • Sturdy (designates a great trailer)
  • In Need of Repair (an iffy trailer. While slightly interesting, trailer may have some flaws, or; the movie just doesn't look that appealing.)
  • Fishtail (To put it bluntly... it sucks. Either its showcasing a movie that will probably stink to high heaven, or the editor gave too much away or did an icky job of it.)
When viewing a trailer, I'll primarily look at:
  • Appeal/Excitement Factor
  • Editing (i.e. cuts, intertitles, etc.)
  • Mood (how is it conveyed?), and
  • Story
I hope that this new segment will be entertaining for you and for me. Let me know what you think of this idea in the comments section below.

****UPDATE**** 
Due to a limited time in my schedule, starting with Trailer Park 5, I will only be reviewing one trailer per installment, which will no longer be a weekly thing. Check back monthly to see what's new!!

CLICK HERE for Trailer Park #1
CLICK HERE for Trailer Park #2
CLICK HERE for Trailer Park #3
CLICK HERE for Trailer Park #4
CLICK HERE for Trailer Park #5












CLICK HERE for Trailer Park #6

No comments:

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.