Sunday, July 21, 2013

Changes: A Branch of the Tree of Life

I can't believe it's been over six years since I started on this blog. When I started this adventure, my posts consisted of two or three sentences, and comments were pretty regular, but I guess that comes with being nine or ten and having your own blog. Those blog posts were about the little things in life: vacations, auditions, summer camps, and unfinished stories, and what's new in the life of Adam Johnson. And family was my main support--my audience-- even when the posts...weren't that great or thought out. Heck, most of those posts were only what I was thinking about that day. It was the imaginarium of the young child.


Since then, I began to get a big interest in film and film criticism, and as such, the imaginarium is beginning to become more concrete. As you've noticed, since July of last year, my blog has been consisting of media-centric posts, mostly movies, and that's the route I would like to further endeavor on: a blog devoted to film--reviews, trailers, news, and everything in between. No longer will I focus my primary blog on short story fan-fiction or the first random thing that pops up from my head. Instead of me seeking interaction from you, I'm here to inform and assist you. The imaginarium as it was before shatters.


As of such, I plan to begin a new blog separate from Pianoman's Blog. I realize that if I want my blog to act as a resume of some sort, I should create an entirely new focus, away from the archives of the years past. So in the coming weeks, I plan to create an entirely separate blog under the name "Adam's Final Cut" with a new URL and revert this current blog to its former name (or something close to it). For a time, I will simultaneously publish posts on both blogs, but after a time, I will leave this blog behind to focus almost entirely on "Final Cut." Almost every post from July 25, 2012 onward will be republished on the new "Final Cut" site. That said, I'll post back on this blog every now and then after the transition, but the blogs will be independent of each other, and this current blog will not be posted on as frequently, and be a bit more sporadic than "Final Cut." By sporadic, I mean if I want to post something different from the three primary means of entertainment--film, television, and literature--such as theme park or video game reviews or whatever, it would be on here, just not published regularly. The reason I'm not deleting Pianoman's Blog entirely is due to the fact that after over 150 posts, you just don't want to throw away over 150 posts. Pianoman's Blog will be mostly archival, and "Final Cut" will be my primary blog-- a new beginning.


But enough with the solemn stuff. I do have some exciting new ideas for the future of "Adam's Final Cut." Recently, I wrote a short-form screenplay called Untitled Project, and right now I'm in the middle of the production of a short film called The Struggle, both of which will be premiering at the Studio@620 this Friday and will be screened at the Sunscreen Film Festival in April 2014. I do want to write about my experiences with each and, especially with Untitled Project, thank my inspirations towards the end of production.


Secondly, I plan to introduce a new segment to the blog called Critic Spotlight, where I pay homage to some of who I think are the best and most influential film critics of our time. I hope to premiere this segment sometime this weekend or the next. It won't be as regular as my film reviews or Trailer Park, but I think it will be a nice little something for the blog.


Thirdly and lastly, I've been entertaining the idea of expanding on social media. For the most part, I've been doing advertising on my personal Facebook page where only those I friend are able to see it. I think it would be beneficial to the updated blog's attention to make a Facebook page for the new blog and a Twitter so feed and updates get out faster and broader. I also toy around with the idea of creating a YouTube channel called FinalCut+ in order to go beyond the blog. On that channel, I'd publish video tributes and short films I make, along with extended reviews and specialty reviews (review every Disney movie, every Best Picture winner, film analysis videos, etc.). Just ideas.


So there you have it. An era ends as a new one begins. I hope that this transition goes by smoothly and without problems. And for those of you who have noticed what film I've been referencing through images this whole time: Yes, I will review The Tree of Life, just after I see it again, and I will review The Shawshank Redemption and Driving Miss Daisy VERY soon. Also, I've got a bunch of stinkbombs I'm just waiting to tear apart. Trust me: it won't be pretty. But what do you think about the future of the blogs? Do have any good segment ideas? If so, let me know in the comments below! I really want your feedback on the exciting new developments that are taking place. Until next time, "thank you for helping me make this blog."

1 comment:

Scott Johnson said...

Your new blog needs to be in the WordPress platform! So whoever reads it as a resume will be even more impressed!

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.