Saturday, July 20, 2013

Trailer Park #2: Only God Forgives, Ender's Game, The Wolverine

If you haven't seen how this segment works yet, click here. If you wish to read the previous edition of Trailer Park, click here. Now that we're caught up...

Let's do the best at what we do.
On the second edition of Trailer Park, we'll be reviewing the final trailer for art house film Only God Forgives, the only trailer for science fiction film adaptation Ender's Game, and one of the last trailers for comic book movie The Wolverine.



Only God Forgives is probably a film you've never heard of. It's probably a film that you wouldn't have heard of for the rest of your life (unless it was nominated for an Oscar, but even then). But that's what we do here: let the underdogs sing a little, get their voice out. Anyways, Only God Forgives is the latest collaboration between Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn and American heartthrob Ryan Gosling after 2011's sleeper hit Drive. If there's one thing I can say about this trailer, it would be that it makes the film look stunningly beautiful--by look, I mean cinematography-wise. I don't even need to explain how I think that-- just look at it. That's what I thought. The trailer is also very effective in how it plays a soft lullaby during some of the more graphically violent portions, such as the shootout scene. Part of me thinks, "Wow, that's really cool," but when the sequence begins, I'm a little disturbed, but yet, I think that's what Refn is trying to do. Although the film isn't getting the best reviews from critics or audiences, I must say that the trailer has a phenomenal score, great visuals, and a great portrayal of the necessary gritty, seductive, dark, and violent world of Bangkok that this film takes place in. I likely won't see this film any time soon due to its intense nature, but if you are a fan of films that rely more on implication and metaphors, this film looks like a must for you. Only God Forgives Trailer 3 is, without a doubt, very STURDY!



Why Ender's Game? Why would I choose to review this? The trailer was released back in May and the film doesn't come out for another three or four months. Well, at the San Diego Comic-Con, Summit Entertainment released "new" footage, but I just wasn't a fan of it and there wasn't enough substance for me to review. But I still wanted to honor Ender's Game, a film based off of the great sci-fi novel by Orson Scott Card. As a pretty big fan of the book, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed by the trailer thus far. I'm trying to remain optimistic here, but I just feel like the film's going to be a complete letdown. The CGI looks iffy for one. The film was made on $110 million, so I'm guessing that most of the budget didn't go to the animated work, instead to hiring the all-star Oscar-nominated cast. I feel that the actors will do fine, but I unfortunately don't think it will live up to the high standard set to the original novel. That said, I'm very interested to see Harrison Ford's performance as Col. Graff; get to see him as a sci-fi character other than Han Solo. But, overall, there's just not enough zing in the trailer for me to give it anything better than this advice: IN NEED OF REPAIR. It's a shame; hopefully the movie's better.



To close off today's edition, let's talk about the second trailer for the new film The Wolverine, coming to theaters this Friday. In this film, Wolverine is still coping with the loss of his romantic interest Jean Grey to the Dark Phoenix, leading him to Japan and reuniting with an old colleague who grants him mortality. And that's the biggest hook of the film: Wolverine, the tough, gritty guy and everyone's favorite X-Man, is vincible. So what does that mean? He's going to be fiercer, making a great action picture for this summer. I'm not as in the loop about X-Men lore as I am Spider-Man or Batman, so I can't say how loyal the filmmakers are being towards the original material. That said, it looks like a great action picture and a great superhero movie about the invincible in a vulnerable position. Will the Hercules submit to death to end his suffering, or will he accept the gift and take the curse along with it? I'm excited for it, the trailer, though unclear at portions, is engaging, and I'm sure the film will capture the energy of X-Men (2000). I mean, that was a film that mostly followed Wolverine and that was entertaining. I'm not going to go into The Wolverine thinking it's the next Oscar contender, but my goodness, I know I'll have a good time at the movies, especially with lines like the voiceover dialogue towards the end of the trailer. I say The Wolverine is a STURDY trailer, and of these three, I'm looking forward to this most. Make sure to check it out next weekend!!

That's it for this weekend. It's a bit short now, but, you know, so are the trailers. Comment below on what you think is the best-looking trailer, your thoughts on my scores, and what my third trailer should be next week!

No comments:

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.