Saturday, August 3, 2013

Trailer Park 4: Elysium, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, Mr. Morgan's Last Love

If you still aren't up to speed on this little shindig I like to call Trailer Park, do click here. You'll also find a directory for every episode so far. Now that we're up to speed...

Let's git 'er done!
On this week's edition of Trailer Park, I'll be reviewing the Sony Pictures official trailer for the Matt Damon-Jodie Foster sci-fi film Elysium, the second trailer for teen favorite sure-to-be box office smash Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, and the official trailer for German-French-American film Mr Morgan's Last Love.



Our first film is Elysium, the newest film from the director of critically-acclaimed film District 9. In this picture, Matt Damon, after a factory accident must break into the home of the wealthy and healthy--Elysium--and as you may tell, the government's not very happy about that. Now records show that I have not yet given a Sony Pictures film a positive score on Trailer Park yet, Mortal Instruments and The Smurfs 2 receiving the lowest marks. However, things will change with the trailer to Elysium. Armed with a strong and mostly original concept, great camerawork and stunts, and an all-star cast, it looks like a fun, if not great, summer movie. It is getting a somewhat mixed reaction so far, splitting the Schmoes Know Movies duo, but based off what I see, I would go see it. I have not seen District 9, so I can't give my thoughts on the director and use that as bias, but I see very little flaws with this trailer. The world-up-above-is-better concept has been done before, but it looks like writer-director Neill Blomkamp is going to use it to make it his own. My only worry is that, like Pacific Rim, it won't make its money back. However, I'll say that this trailer is STURDY.



With City of Bones, this is the movie that sort of inspired Trailer Park, when I would give a brief tidbit about my thoughts of the trailer on Facebook; now I do it here. This is also the sequel to one of my least favorite films of all time, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (who on Earth decided to give it such a long title, my word!), which I briefly touched upon in my recent article "What Makes a Movie Bad?" Am I excited for this movie? Absolutely not. Does the movie look sucky? Surprisingly, not as much I thought. I didn't read the original book, The Sea of Monsters, so I can't say how much that the filmmakers are going to respect the material (although it is written by the guy who wrote the Green Lantern movie). In this adventure, Percy, Annabeth, and Grover have to recover the Golden Fleece in the Bermuda Triangle in order to save every demigod and mythological character that walks the Earth. Hopefully this time they actually bring up Kronos the Titan in this version instead of making Luke, son of Hermes, the villain--seriously, who's idea was it to make the kid the bad guy? Such a stupid move, such a stupid movie. If they continue to have Luke be the big bad, then isn't he, in essence, trying to wipe himself out with everything relative to Greek mythology? Since Logan Lerman is a big star now in Hollywood--and with Perks of Being a Wallflower, a very talented star--hopefully he will carry this movie better than last time, and the cast around him will help carry the weight. Luckily, he has Nathan Fillion to help him out as Hermes. If you don't know who Nathan Fillion is, he is the star of several TV shows such as Castle and cult hit Firefly, but I know him best as Captain Hammer from Joss Whedon's Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. From what I've seen of Fillion, he's a great actor and he's probably the only reason I'd go see this movie. So because of Nathan Fillion and a couple of apparent improvements, I'll say that the Sea of Monsters trailer is IN NEED OF REPAIR. I'm hoping that this one won't make my Top Ten WORST Movies list, but you never know.



Our last trailer is a lesser-known dramedy starring Sir Michael Caine and directed by Sandra Nettelbeck, who may be better known to American audiences for her 2007 film No Reservations. This film shows an American philosophy professor who is still coping with the death of his wife, until he meets a young dance teacher, who brings happiness back to his life. Now at first glance, it seems like a creepy film about an old man who finds his last love in the French woman; but I think, like UP, the film will deal more with Mr. Morgan's coping through loss. And it looks like a cute little film as well. I will say, though, that it takes some getting used to hearing Sir Michael Caine talk with an American accent, or at least try. Knowing his performances, though, I think that, in the final product, he'll pull it off just fine. I don't think it'll be getting any Oscar nods, but it does look like a promising film and story. I can't say when the film will be released here, but I do hope to see it when it finally arrives. I'm going to say that this trailer is STURDY.

So once again, not a single trailer gets a "Fishtail" rating. Whether any of these will be great movies, I'm not sure, but the trailers look good enough to me. Personally, out of these three, I'm looking most forward to Mr Morgan, but what about you? I know plenty are excited for Percy Jackson because of leading man Logan Lerman. Which movie are you looking forward to most? It's hard to believe that the year is almost over, and there's only four months left! Since I've only seen one new film this year fresh from theaters, which movie should I review in theaters when I get the chance? I'll leave it to you to comment below, so until next time....

No comments:

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.