Tuesday, June 21, 2016

NEW MOVIE: Love & Friendship

Today, I'm reviewing Love & Friendship. "What is this movie? I've never seen a single trailer for it on the telly!" you are 99.9% definitely saying. "Why would I want to see this?" Well, I suppose I could be of some use to you!

Rated PG for some thematic elements
Starring Kate Beckinsale (Underworld, Total Recall, Much Ado About Nothing), Love & Friendship is based on Jane Austen's novella Lady Susan and is a romantic comedy about love and deception set in Victorian England. Lady Susan (Beckinsale) is looking to wed and stays with her relatives in Churchill to court the much younger Reginald DeCourcy (Xavier Samuel, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, Anonymous) whilst juggling domestic affairs with her unhappy daughter Frederica (Morfydd Clark, of the stage) and with other suitors.

I must disclose that I am no expert in Jane Austen's literature, having never read one of her novels (though I do have a book that seems interesting on my shelf called I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend that I still haven't read). I did, however, see the adaptation Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow in middle school, and I did enjoy it, so I was optimistic about this one. I was not disappointed; this film is rather good, as well, though not without issue.

Not having read Lady Susan, I found the plot occasionally hard to follow. There are several characters to keep track of, and because I was unfamiliar with many of the actors in the film, it was hard to keep track of who was who and who does what. Additionally, the film is relatively slow-paced. The first fifteen minutes (or so it felt; I wasn't keeping track of time) didn't quite hook me in as a film should and it was difficult to connect to the characters in this time of introduction--it felt distanced from the audience, which, come to think of it, is natural. This is from a completely different time and culture than we are in now, and feels very different from a typical film or modern drama, and the classical-style score very much cements that feeling. Director Whit Stillman (Metropolitan, The Last Days of Disco) attempts to properly introduce his characters by having characters appear in their own extended frames with their names underneath with a witty description, as if it were a play's program, but the frames are fleeting and therefore not always useful, though provide good chuckles. He still tries to make sure we leave the theater knowing who the characters were and reintroduces them before the final credits roll with actor and character name superimposed on a brief clip of a scene of them from the movie. It's a flip of the coin whether it was effective or not, but it certainly makes it feel like the movie never actually ended after it does, which is unfortunate but not terrible.

Gratefully, the film does pick up with plenty of time left, and in the end, Love & Friendship is a fun, witty, independent comedy with great performances. Everyone seems to enjoy the roles they're playing. Kate Beckinsale is rather good as Lady Susan Vernon, a sly and deviously deceptive woman. Luckily, the mix of script and cold performance ensure that the characters' reactions to her actions and biddings are believable, but also make sure that the audience knows she's not a woman to be trusted. When Emma Greenwell (Shameless) as sister-in-law Catherine Vernon tips off to her mother that Lady Susan is a genius who can manipulate any man to bow to her will, I very much believed it. However, Beckinsale is not the only standout. Tom Bennett shines as the gleefully stupid Sir James Martin, a delightful mix of Dogberry and Michael Scott. He had me doubling over in my seat. His performance is so ridiculous, the film is worth seeing for him alone.

Now Sir Martin is involved in the giant love affair: he's Frederica Vernon's "unintended" suitor, meaning she does not like him at all in the prospect of marriage (though she could "if he were a brother or a cousin or a second cousin or a step-something). Frederica, though, has begun to fall for Reginald DeCourcy, much to the joy of the DeCourcys. Actors Clark and Samuel have tremendous chemistry and are a joy to watch, sometimes outshining Lady Susan's own plots. Their pairing makes them incredibly likable heroes in this often farcical story.

One more thing to note: I very much appreciated Stillman's use of color in the film. The costumes are very bright, as you can see in the photograph below, but the screen aesthetic also plays a role. The film has that mildly dull, period piece look to it, but once a certain event happens at the end of the film, when things come out right (it is a comedy!), the film becomes much, much brighter, almost blindingly so, with light blues and bright yellows coming out. There's also a fun but subtle bit of humor at the end that underscores an innuendo that I thought was very clever, but for the sake of you, dear reader, I wish not to spoil with explanation.

"A lovely family portrait."

In the end, Love & Friendship is a delightful film. The humor is sharp and witty, many thanks to Beckinsale and Bennett's dedicated performances. Despite losing me at times, the film comes together and comes out a fun story of true love and deception. For the most part, you know what you're getting going into this--if you like Jane Austen, you will adore this movie (the six other people in my theater were very much into it); if not, you may find enjoyment. Either way, I feel like it was $10 well-spent. If you catch it someday, you will likely enjoy it. I give Love & Friendship 4 out of 5 stars.

Have you heard of this film? Are you a Jane Austen aficionado? On an unrelated note, I do plan to catch up on earlier films I have seen and not yet reviewed due to other priorities, such as The Jungle Book and Deadpool, so keep an eye out for those. But whatever you have to say about me or the movies, comment below!

No comments:

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.