Friday, February 28, 2014

OSCAR REVIEW: Captain Phillips

I think Tom Hanks has a thing for movies at sea. First Cast Away, now Captain Phillips. At least this one didn't make me cry!


WILSON!! Anyway, Captain Phillips tells the true story of a hostage crisis that began with the infiltration of Somali pirates on the cargo ship Maersk Alabama. Clocking in at a little over two hours, the film rarely seems to let up the suspense, even if you know the end of the story, and that is a big plus to director Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Ultimatum, United 93). While I greatly enjoyed the film as a whole, however, I highly doubt that it will walk away with Best Picture this Sunday.

This is probably one of the more realistic films I've seen Tom Hanks in. Note the opening scene, which is basically a conversation in a car, and the nonchalance he and his wife (played by Catherine Keener, Being John Malkovich, Capote) have talking about what's going on with their son and their lives. If I was a theater patron and I only knew that this was about a boat captain, I couldn't have guessed that this would turn into a hostage thriller. However, in such a simple scene, you get a very stunning display of editing and cinematography that (and I can say this from personal experience) is very difficult to reproduce. I can't imagine the number of takes it took them to make the scene, and I'm not sure I want to. From there, the film moves at a very steady, very thrilling pace throughout, not trying to be too big and flashy for its own good, so props to the filmmakers.

I can't talk about this movie and not bring up the acting. I've seen quite a few Tom Hanks movies, and this may be one of the best performances I've seen him give (although Forrest Gump holds a special place in my heart). He makes the more intense situations realistic; for example, after all the built-up tension finally ends at the climax, Tom Hanks releases in a very realistic, very dramatic way that makes the film all worthwhile--some folks try to bring things full circle by connections to the beginning of the story, but Greengrass elected to come full circle by acknowledging through Hanks' acting that this was real tension. Speaking of tension, the action, when it happens, is exciting. The Somali pirates' invasion of the boat was interesting to watch, and Hanks and newcomer Barkhad Abdi made it easily one of the most exciting parts of the film (as it should be). As for Abdi, his performance was alright, especially for a newcomer. Going into this film several months after its initial release, I feel like his performance was severely overhyped by nearly everybody. It carried the role; he just wasn't spectacular, in my opinion, and as I said in my predictions, it's a crying shame Abdi got nominated instead of Tom Hanks in either Saving Mr. Banks or this picture--that's just my two-cents. Regardless, the violence is gritty and brutal, but not overdone. It's kind of like the Bourne movies; the violence is there and it's not always easy to watch, but it's not excessive or "big" as in an R-rated picture like Goodfellas or RoboCop.


This a very well put-together film, and I was surprised by how much it has stuck with me. When the film ended, I didn't have the emotional impact like I did at the end of The Tree of Life, The Green Mile, or Jurassic Park (the latter being excitement). Yet when I saw clips weeks after seeing it, I felt the rhythm of the scenes again, and I could almost quote it. It is rightfully one of the better films of the year (had I seen it earlier, it would probably have been my number 3 film, under Saving Mr. Banks and Zero Dark Thirty); unfortunately for Greengrass, it won't win. That said, I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. Hopefully it gets its due this Sunday night at the Oscars, but this is one of those times where it's an honor just to be nominated.

So what about you? Did you see Captain Phillips, and what did you think about it? What's your vote for Best Picture this year? Whatever you have to say about me or the movies, comment below!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was so disappointed Hanks didn't win an Oscar for his performance in this film

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.