Monday, January 20, 2014

NEW MOVIE: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

It's generally agreed that this is the best new release this month. But is that saying much? Find out below in my review of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit!
I don't often get the chance to review new releases because of my often hectic schedule, but now that I have a holiday, I got to see this new espionage movie that serves as a reboot to the Jack Ryan series (The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger). Having seen none of those films, having only seen a trailer, and having read no early reviews, I have the opportunity to give you my candid thoughts on the film.

Directed by Shakespeare aficionado Kenneth Branagh (who also stars as the film's villain) and written in part by Jurassic Park screenwriter David Koepp, Shadow Recruit shows how Jack Ryan (Chris Pine, Star Trek Into Darkness, This Means War) became the spy that 90s audience know and love. Mentored by Kevin Costner's (Man of Steel, Dances With Wolves) character, he tries to uncover a scheme working towards Russian economic domination, bringing about the Second Great Depression. And, of course, Jack's girlfriend has to get involved, but Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Caribbean, Pride & Prejudice) plays the role well enough that I didn't mind her character much at all. Some things get perhaps a little bit convoluted, and then I was unaffected by a small plot twist towards the end--aren't we supposed to be genuinely shocked?--but it was a fun action movie.

For the first act, I was on board. The origin story and the opening sequences were well-paced and interesting, and the first few action sequences were intense. One scene in particular I thought was really gritty, almost like The Bourne Identity, but not to the point where it was hard-to-watch (this is a PG-13 movie, after all). Branagh made some nice directorial choices, such as not showing his character's face until the end of his introductory scene. Knightley and Pine had good chemistry--I bought them as a couple--and there were a few laughs. However, after a while, the pace got a bit off, and the predictable started happening. The camera got so shaky at times that I couldn't tell what was going on, and tension was lacking in certain action scenes, especially towards the end. What saved the picture, for me, was the performances by the leads and some of Branagh's direction. I can't deny that it was a fun action movie, and if that's all you're looking for, go right on ahead. You won't be disappointed.

I would've liked for more character development, especially on the villains' side, but I was entertained for an hour and 40 minutes. In my book, this movie gets 3 out of 5 stars. It's not an exceptional movie by any means, but it wasn't bad either. Honestly, if all you are looking for is an entertaining movie, just see this and don't waste your time with any other new release. It may not reach the acclaim that The Hunt for Red October had, but honestly, it's a January movie; this is The Shawshank Redemption compared to other early releases. Just don't expect Jason Bourne.
Kevin Costner and Chris Pine star in this PG-13 action flick
So what about you? Were you looking forward to this, or are you just going to catch up on the Oscar noms?  Let me know which movie you want me to tell you about next! Whatever you have to say about me and the movies, comment below!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't see any Oscars forthcoming and I agree that it certainly isn't a Bourne movie, but it wasn't bad and I wasn't disappointed.

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.