Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My Most Anticipated Movies of 2014

It's a new year, which means new movies, and new movies mean great things are going to happen. And since this is a favorite of other reviewers, I thought I'd try my hand at this and give you my most anticipated movies of 2014.

Voyage of Time (2014?)
Dir. Terrence Malick; Star. Brad Pitt, Emma Thompson

This one is perhaps the most interesting out of all of these for a few reasons. Number one: I have almost no idea of what it's about. Some sources say it will be a documentary about space, which is certainly interesting, but what interests me is the director-star pairing of Terrence Malick and Brad Pitt, who worked very closely together on my favorite film, The Tree of Life. Secondly, IMDb describes the film as "An examination of the birth and death of the known universe," which seems like a companion piece of The Tree of Life, which is what got me interested in it in the first place. This film has no confirmed release date because of certain financial disputes, but as of now, it's tracking for 2014, and when it hits theaters (or iTunes), you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be watching this...even if no one else will.

Noah (March 8, 2014)
Dir. Darren Aronofsky; Star. Russell Crowe, Emma Watson, Anthony Hopkins

Noah will tell the classic Noah and the Ark Bible story in an epic format. I've been following this film since the beginning of this year, and I'm excited to see how this film turns out, since it's not very often we get a Biblical film on the big screen with a $100 million-plus budget. The last major Biblical film release was The Passion of the Christ, the highest grossing R-rated, and foreign language, film in the US, and while I don't feel that Noah will be either of those, I'm excited to see how the controversial director, Aronofsky, does with this material, especially when adding Noah's nemesis, an adopted daughter, and six-armed Watcher angels from Jewish lore. He had to add things to make a decently-sized movie; I hope it pays off in the end.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (April 4, 2014)
Dir. Anthony and Joe Russo; Star. Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson

I'll be honest: the only reason I'm interested in this film is because the trailer was amazing, or rather, STURDY. The film will follow Captain America working with S.H.I.E.L.D. after The Avengers, and from that we get some awesome new characters, a mysterious foe, and some interesting themes of freedom vs. fear and terrorism vs. justice. Those kinds of themes interest me, and the last few films with Cap were entertaining. Let's do this thing...for 'Merica!

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2, 2014)
Dir. Marc Webb; Star. Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx
Now this is a film I was a bit on the edge about. I remember liking The Amazing Spider-Man better than the Tobey McGuire-Sam Raimi films, so I was obviously ready for a new sequel. Then I saw the first trailer for the new film, and I felt excited and not excited at the same time. The film just didn't look as good as it should have, I thought, even though the villains seemed interesting (Jamie Foxx plays Electro). But then I saw the trailer before The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and I was hooked. This movie does look awesome, and it should be seen in theaters, probably in 3D. So why quit on a franchise early? If it's not great, at least it'll be fun!

X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23, 2014)
Dir. Bryan Singer; Star. Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender

Days of Future Past was a film I had also been following for a bit. I've seen all the X-Men films sans the Wolverine-only ones, and I've enjoyed most of them. Future Past serves as a direct sequel to both prequel First Class and to X-Men 3: The Last Stand/The Wolverine. How can this be so? Time travel, of course, with Wolverine going back in time to help young Charles Xavier find his way back to his destiny, especially when the existence of mutants are at stake. This film had a butt-kicking trailer, and the story seems interesting. What could go wrong?

Interstellar (November 7, 2014)
Dir. Christopher Nolan; Star. Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine
Interstellar was originally a film that was going to be made by Steven Spielberg before he gave it to the Nolans. The only two things I know about the plot is that it's about wormholes and corn. Certainly an interesting combination, but I loved Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy and I enjoyed Inception, so Interstellar looks like it'll be one of the smartest, if not entertaining, films of the year. And Michael Caine is in it? When has he ever phoned in a performance?


The Hunger Games: Mockingjay—Part One (November 21, 2014)
Dir. Francis Lawrence; Star. Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson
I didn't review Catching Fire, but I mostly enjoyed the film, and I certainly enjoyed it enough to want to see Mockingjay. I've not read the books, though I own them all, but Catching Fire and its political themes of rebellion and oppression get that Les Mis excitement rising up in me. How will it all pan out? Well, I guess that's what the next two films are for!

The Hobbit: There and Back Again (December 17, 2014)
Dir. Peter Jackson; Star. Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage

Did you not expect this on here? There and Back Again is the sequel to The Desolation of Smaug, and as a fan of The Hobbit, I am excited for the finale. I have questions, I have concerns, and I strongly believe they will all be addressed in this film. Not to mention we get to see more of the dragon and the legendary Battle of Five Armies. Peter Jackson, do well. If he makes things relevant, and he makes his changes just, this may be the best Middle-Earth film since The Return of the King.


That's my list. What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any up here that you could care less about? Also, I want to know what January movie you guys think I should see by answering a poll on my Facebook page here, and please "Like" the page. Anyways, whatever you have to say about me or the movies, comment below!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm in on Noah, Spidy, and Hunger Games. I'd like to catch Heaven Is For Real too.

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.