Thursday, January 1, 2015

Most Anticipated Movies of 2015

It's the same drill as last year; this is just a fun thing to do that I hope introduces you to other films coming out this year. No need for introductions. As Monty Python famously said...


Cinderella (March 13)
Dir. Kenneth Branagh; Star. Lily James, Cate Blanchett, Helena Bonham Carter
The successor to last year's Maleficent (which received mixed reviews), Cinderella, directed by the man behind the unforgettable Hamlet and Much Ado About Nothing films, aspires to be a faithful adaptation of the classic Walt Disney film from 1950 rather than a complete reimagining. Furthermore, Cate Blanchett and Helena Bonham Carter seem to offer strong performances, and overall, I feel it will be the heartwarming, perfect family movie it needs to be. After the gritty retellings of Sleeping Beauty and Alice in Wonderland, perhaps this too will be a breath of fresh air before Disney does a live-action Pinocchio in May (more on that later).

The Water Diviner (April 24)
Dir. Russell Crowe; Star. Russell Crowe, Jai Courtney
This one seems weird to put on here, but for some reason I want to see it. This one stars Russell Crowe and is his directorial debut. It's not that I'm a huge Russell Crowe fan (the only movies I've seen of his are Les Miserables and Noah), but I feel like this movie about a father's search for his children after a great war with the Turks will be a film worth talking about and sharing, to analyze and find meaning. Almost fitting for a film society.


Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1)
Dir. Joss Whedon; Star. Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, James Spader
"I've got no strings on me." This easily had one of the best trailers last year, as things are looking really dark in the Marvel Universe, especially after all the schnozz that went down in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Ultron looks so incredibly menacing and it only makes me more excited for the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, especially with the Civil War storyline coming up. Things are gonna go down. And it's going to be awesome. And I am going to be there.

Tomorrowland (May 22)
Dir. Brad Bird; Star. George Clooney, Britt Robertson
Another Disney movie! Made by the guy behind The Incredibles and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, this film is about an inventor and a young woman and a world known as Tomorrowland, accessed primarily through a magical pin. I'm optimistic about it. This could be the theme park movie to end all theme park movies. Imagine what this could do for Disney World and how they could integrate the lore of the film into the parks. The film could be revolutionary if executed right, and given the length of time Bird's been working on this, it very well could be Disney's most important film since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I just hope they didn't shoot themselves in the foot financially by releasing it the same month as Age of Ultron.

Jurassic World (June 12)
Dir. Colin Trevorrow; Star. Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard
This is my most anticipated movie of the year, even over Star Wars. The original Jurassic Park was not only a cautionary tale about playing God, but it was a beautifully directed film with the best, most exciting special effects I've ever seen put to film. I'm still floored by them, and seeing the "Making Of's" make me love them even more. The second film continued the condemnation of man controlling nature, which was nice, but suffered from too many characters, an emotional core, and an ending that was kind of disappointing despite its scale. This has the scale back at the park (which is now open!), furthers the theme of the entire series, seems to keep the cast small, and has the right amount of nostalgia and effects. What could go wrong? I mean, there's the chaos theory, but besides that, there's very little keeping me from not seeing this opening night. This is the franchise I adore so much, I went on the water ride based on it at Islands of Adventure, and I don't do flumes typically. That should say something.


St. James Place (October 16)
Dir. Steven Spielberg; Star. Tom Hanks, Peter McRobbie
This is a film I've only heard about recently, but I'm still really excited for. It's Spielberg's first movie since 2012's fantastic (if long-winded) Lincoln, and it's written by the Coen Brothers, who have given us such great movies as True Grit and the cult classic The Big Lebowski. The film also stars Tom Hanks (who has appeared in more of my favorite films than any other actor) as James Donovan, a lawyer who gets caught in the middle of the Cold War when he has to negotiate with Fidel Castro and the Soviets for the release of a U-2 spy pilot. After 3 years, I'm so excited to see one of the greatest living directors go at it again, and with strong screenwriters behind it along with acting powerhouse Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg in another war movie sounds like a great time at the cinemas in 2015.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay--Part 2 (November 20)
Dir. Francis Lawrence; Star. Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Philip Seymour Hoffman
If you read my review for Mockingjay--Part 1, you know I've come to really enjoy these movies. They're on par with many other great films and the Harry Potter series. They take time to develop the characters so we care for them, which other YA adaptations fail miserably at doing (looking at you, Divergent) and engage the audience in not only the action, but the drama as well. The propaganda stuff was the best part of the last film, and after the ending we're left with at the end of that last one...yeah, I want to see this. And probably see the first film for the first time while I'm at it.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (December 18)
Dir. J.J. Abrams; Star. Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega
It's Star Wars. It has the original cast. The Force is awake. John Williams is doing the score. These aren't the prequels. Laser swords. It's Star Wars. These aren't the prequels. Awesome trailer. John Williams is doing the score. It's Star Wars. Seriously, what more do I need to say? Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year because Star Wars is back in theaters!


So what films are you looking forward to next year? Are you going to see the return of Jurassic Park and Star Wars? Do you want to see Adam Sandler's Pixels? What are your thoughts on the Poltergeist remake this year? (Oh yes, that's happening.)

Also, my Year in Review will be coming soon. There are still a handful of 2014 movies I want to see before I make it this year, so hang tight--it's coming soon! In the meantime, have a happy new year!

So whatever you have to say about me and the movies, comment below!

No comments:

A blog (formerly) dedicated to film: reviews, news, and everything in between.